or request came for volunteers for a reconnoitering patrol.  Of course I couldn't be out of this piece of promising sport, so after asking the Adjutant if I could come, and gaining his consent, I picked up my rifle and 50 rounds of ammunition, and we set off.  Before I started I had to appoint somebody to take my place in case of "accidents".  After preceeding about three-quarters a mile from "camp",  we "spotted" a patrol of "Uhlans", German advance scouts.   I blew my whistle and made the sign to get to "earth". I was only about ten paces from our Adjutant, and we lay watching them for about 20 minutes, when they rode away in the direction of their own lines. I was then told to blow my whistle and get our patrol of 8 men together, which I 
 I did.  We then found to our surprise that two were missing.  We sent the remainder back to the trenches, and  we proceeded out in search of them.   We had gone about a mile further on, and were just turning round to come back to our own lines, when some Belgian refugees informed us that, they had seen some Germans doing something to the telegraph wires about a quarter of a mile further on, and round the bend of a road, which led to the bridge following the river.  We proceeded in the direction given, and were just in the act of turning the corner when  we saw a big Uhlan standing in the middle of the road, leaning on his lance , and looking in the direction of his own lines, which were about half a mile further along, but on the South side of the river. He was 
 standing about 200 yards away.  The road itself was flanked by hedges about 4 feet high.  We jumped through a gap, and on turning the corner we found a ditch running parallel to the road, and just beneath the hedge.  We ran along this ditch and got abreast of him, and upon looking through the hedge,  we saw to our surprize, a party of men gathered beneath a telegraph pole ; looking up, we saw two men, busily engaged in doing something aloft.  The top man had an instrument fastened to the wires, and was evidently tapping them, and the bottom man was cutting the lower wires with a bright pair of pliers - both wore white insulating gloves.    Evidently the message that was coming through was very inter(esting
 inter)esting for both the officer in charge of the party, and also his men, were gesticulating, and making a lot of noise.   It was jolly lucky that our "Adjutant" understood German, for one could hear everything what they were talking about, they being only about 30 yards away. Accordingly,  we learnt their plans, strength, when they expected reinforcements, where they were coming from, and how many, also how strong they supposed us to be and when and how they meant to attack us.    That is the reason why, when we were attacked that night, we held our "fire" and allowed them to approach as near as 4 hundred yards of us, when we gave them H--- and drove them off.  We waited till they had gone in the direction of 
 their own lines, and then proceeded in the direction of ours, which we reached about 9pm, 5 hours after the specified time.  The "Adjutant" went to report to head-quarters, and I proceeded to my own trench, and saw the "boys", who all  thought we had been shot or taken prisoners.  They were jolly glad to find it was not the case, - and I was too.  I had been back in the trenches about 10 minutes when the Germans opened fire with their shrapnel, also with rifles.  It was my first experience with shrapnel, and I must admit, it was pretty "Hot". One would think "H---" had been let loose.  This went on for about half an hour when the shrapnel ceased abruptly, as it had begun, and they then opened fire with rifles.  It rained bullets 
 for about 15 minutes, but they did hardly any harm to us, as they were much too high. The only damage done was, killing cattle, and smashing tiles of the houses about twenty yards in our rear.   During the remainder of that night, they attacked us two or three times, but we were successful in driving them off, with but little loss of life to our side.  Soon after daylight on the morning of  Friday Oct 7th, we are told to dig a trench communicating with the "bomb-proof" shelter, so as to enable the wounded to pass along  with comparative safety.   We are working this in watches, one guns-crew being engaged in "digging" at a time. It is my watch off, and I am writing a letter to a friend of mine in L'pool. I am writing it on an ammunition box. 
prev / next